- Clerk reads enacting clause of Bill
- Sponsor’s speech (5 minutes) – purpose and major provisions of Bill
- Questions of intent and interpretation. NOT DEBATE (not through chair)
- Legislative Analyst’s Comments
- Lobbyists speak for and against (3 minutes)
- Committee members speak (roll call – 2 minutes)
- General discussion among Committee members (not through chair)
- Chair calls for a motion on the Bill:
- DO PASS
- DO PASS AS AMENDED
- POSTPONE INDEFINITELY (kill the bill)
- TABLE THE BILL (sets the bill aside)
- Lobbyists’ summation speeches (2 minutes)
- Sponsor’s summation speech (3 minutes)
- Clerk reads enacting clause
- Roll call vote: AYE, NAY, or ABSTAIN Majority will prevail; abstentions are not counted in the majority.
Notes:If a motion is not carried, a new motion is called for (see #8) Committee may not go on to another Bill until one of these motions passes.
Amendments may be made any time following #1 and before #8.
A speaker’s time may not be extended.