Skip to content

MLC

Welcome to the MLC Forum. This forum is dedicated to your ideas. California YMCA Youth & Government welcomes your suggestions about how to make MLC even better. Try it out!

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

15 results found

1. Don’t Switch the Political Alignment of Parties Every Year

Every year the core beliefs of every party is switched in sorting. For example, this year(2018-2019) the Trout Party id the “conservative” party. However, next year, a different party will be due to the annual shuffling. I propose this stays the same every year. This is supposedly done to avoid party branding, however tgat happens regardless halfway through T&E1. Party switching just means that there is no name to attach your pride too throughout the years and also means that we need to buy new pins every year. Mord importantly, those elected for I&A positions will be an officer of…

12 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. More descriptive explanations of program areas

After interviewing and researching for weeks, i am still trouble understanding certain program areas that I haven’t participated in, as well as their interactions and relationships with each other. A more thorough description of each program area would be ideal, online on in paper, for those already interested in program areas, but would like more information on the activities of their desired program area.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Create a Y&G App

create an app with upcoming dates, picture archives, the equivalent of the junkies page, the schedule booklet (during conferences), officer/candidate profiles, etc

51 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Julia,
    This is a great idea! Staff have been brain storming ways of getting a good/useful Y&G app. We hope to have one soon!

4. Incentives for candidates to visit small delegations and party reform.

Give candidates more money to spend, or not charge them to go to small delegations, so logistically it will actually be worth it to visit small delegations.....OR(and/or).... reorganize the party system and make parties endorse candidates for all positions, not only gov and sec of state; then give them money for the amount of small delegations their candidates visit. And also points for all of their candidates who win and bills they endorse that pass, expanding the party system through the program and make it model a true linkage institution.

20 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. 15 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Dress Code for Fresno

Can a dress code for Fresno please be posted somewhere. It seems like there wasn't one accessible, and the guidelines weren't clear last year.

12 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Lobbyist Practice Debates at T&E II

I participated in the lobbyist program of this year's Model Legislature & Court and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The lobbyist program is different from the rest of YNG due to the intense competition and teamwork that it entails, which can make it one of the most fun and engaging program areas in all of YNG. However, T&E II almost entirely lacked this feeling, which is the essence of the lobbyist program. We discussed many crucial aspects of the program, including the best ways to debate and to speak publicly, and the best ways to use research and facts to get…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Create an updated video that describes the current program areas and the overall Model Legislature and Court.

We currently have an older version of a video online that briefly describes the general program areas(legislature, court, media, etc.) But this is outdated as there is more program areas than there was during the creation of that video. This could also serve as a general promotional video for delegations who do not currently have a video of their own.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Elevator

I propose that we (we being the staff or deans) have access to the keys, similar to what the fire department would use, for controlling the elevators. At the beginning of an elevator duty, the on-duty adviser would get the key, then return it as soon as they are off duty.

This would not only speed up the unnecessary delay, of stopping on every single floor with a full elevator, for the MLC community, but I think that it will go a long way with the general public staying at the hotel who instead of taking a 20 second elevator…

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Y&G Span

Broadcast legislative sessions in Senate, Assembly and NIC, or pick out the highlights of debates and speeches. It could be a new part of broadcast media. Delegates are out there speaking passionately and should be seen from across program areas!

13 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. court awareness

I've been told that people overlook court due to its difficulty and lack of reward. I just went to NJC without ever doing court, and it's truly an easy concept to grasp. I believe if we promote court and show how it can be simple and the feeling you get when you win your case is as fulfilling as passing your bill or NIC proposal. If during BOB 1 when people are choosing program areas and going to intro meetings regarding these program areas, try to spark an interest in them before they split up into these sections to influence…

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. bill summary sheets

Only being in forum so far, I felt overwhelmed with just the 23 bills we had. I spent lunch one day just reading every one of them and deciding which ones I wanted to speak on. I can't imagine the legislature as a whole! If you require one paragraph bill summaries with the submission of the bill, it would make people's lives so much easier and allow people to sort out what bills they want to speak on just from the summary.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Political Parties involved in legislation

Have political parties endorse legislation and work to pass or kill certian bills, rather than soley focus on getting candidates elected

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. More empowerment groups such as FLIP. And more publicity and benefits for them! Spread the word!

More empowerment groups such as FLIP. And more publicity and benefits for them! Spread the word!

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. MUN Officer Training Bulletin

Have the memo that was created regarding the expectaitions for SG, DSG posted on the website directly following the election of the SG at MUN. It only needs minor tweaks each year, so very little substantive change is needed.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    under staff review  ·  0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?